International headling news from around the world.
WSJ.com - World News
- Trump Stands by His Positive Read of Putin Summit Amid Criticism - President Donald Trump, fresh off a weeklong trip to Europe, hailed his meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin as â€śeven betterâ€ť than his meetings with NATO allies, despite facing widespread criticism for his comments at the summit.
- Divisions in U.K. Government Imperil May's Brexit Strategy - U.K. Prime Minister Theresa Mayâ€™s Brexit strategy was in peril after lawmakers sought to rewrite the plan, casting doubt on whether she can negotiate any exit deal with the EU that Parliament would accept.
- Japan, EU Sign Trade Deal: 'We Stand Together Against Protectionism' - The leaders of Japan and the European Union signed a deal to create one of the worldâ€™s largest liberalized trade zones, in contrast to disputes between the U.S. and several of its trading partners.
- Ethiopia's New Leader Shakes Up One-Party System - Ethiopiaâ€™s charismatic young leader, Abiy Ahmed, is delivering shock therapy to one of the worldâ€™s most entrenched one-party systems, calling for national reconciliation amid violent ethnic discord, ordering the release of political prisoners and legalizing opposition groups.
- U.S. Expects China to Buy Even More Iranian Oil After Sanctions - Some in Washington now expect China to vacuum up much of the Iranian oil that other nations wonâ€™t buy because of the threat of U.S. sanctions.